13 May 2017

I love telling and listening to stories!

My communication style? "Learn your communication style" is the next on many path, after "Learn your leadership style". By now, we did learn to conduct additional research on each subject, understand it, ponder on it and then... deliver a story (or speech) of any style: humorous, informal or instructive. Guess, which one did I chose!

My first impulse was "telling stories! listening to stories! is my style"

But first, I had to read through, then research the subject as theorist speak about it and giving them obscure names. Well, in my opinion at least. Confusing for me. After looking at it through Google, even more confused! The test I passed told me my preferred communication style is "Initiating".

What does it mean?
"Sociable, enthusiastic, energetic, spontaneous, fun loving."

Initiating communicators are:
Self assured, innovative, persuasive. They value interacting with others and sharing stories. Provide time for them to express their feelings and opinions when interacting with them.

Yes!

I can now recognise myself, and our members in my Witty Storytelling Online club.

The task we are all asked to do is telling about your communication style and how others reacted to it. Of course, I will do it, as usual, telling a story. A story that did not come to me yet. Which one to chose?

How I realised first that by telling about my personal experience through a story my friend is convinced? How I decided to go through all my Toastmasters projects through stories? How I created the first Storytelling workshop and with what results? Tell about our online club, where we tell stories to each other and how fast that helps us to know and like each other through different cultures?

I am waiting for a spark!

I did wait and before this come to be published I found my story: Depending on the audience, those standing in front of you, the communication style has to change sometimes more then other.

My most difficult experience so far was when I went to my first Standup Comedy workshop, with 10 young man (behaving like nasty boys). Once I learned how to break the ice with them, I was ready for the 120 young women and man in audience at my first ever Standup Comedy Performance (and the 100 that followed them). I have what to tell for my seven minutes!

Changing Persona and Style to Communicate is important and also fun!

No comments: