9 May 2017

Level 1.Project 2 Understanding the importance of feedback

Level 1 in any path:
1. Icebreaker - that goes farther then the on from CC
2. Feedback and Evaluation
3. Research

The second Project Feedback and Evaluation, hides in fact three tasks:

a) Give a speech any style (humorous, informative, inspirational...) and listen to all feedbacks
b) Create a second speech using what you learned, from auto-evaluation & feedbacks (Ameliorated)
c) Give a specific feedback to someone having understood how important it can be to help

It was just before Eastern Sunday and I remembered the time just before I was 25 and all that happened to me around that day: I rushed to tell a personal story about it in my online club Witty Storytellers Online. Yes, rushing is not the best, even if in my mind seemed finished, during the delivery as my Evaluator said, seemed an impromptu story.

How come? I asked myself, I did read the diaries of those time, I tried to be also combining sad and funny during delivery, how could I improve it?

Of course, the answer was already there in the advices given for Icebreaker. Rehearse more, tell it many times, learn to embed it better, sit down so your eye is parallel and not looking down... Cut what possible and make it more compelling. And you know what? A few days later, after rehearsing, cutting, adding, rehearsing again and again, I got it!

Delivered this time to online club Firebirds Collective, a lot better, too as most of the feedback told me.



I remembered, Doug Lipman famous storyteller and coach, also told us during his workshop at Witty Storytellers: deliver your story again and again and again, to different people, to different public and audiences. Let it grow. So do all professionals too delivering the same a bit differently each time. Again and again. And some of the best speakers of my online clubs and even brick-and-mortar club, have repeated different version of their stories, improving it each time. In plus, we liked to listen again to those new interesting versions!

Lesson learned. Repeat, improve and let it grow.

Not only form now on, I will deliver my stories more then one time, but I will also prepare longer for each of them.

I begun to realise how clever the tasks we got from Pathways were prepared to help us realize it.

I finished the task Feedback and Evaluate, by evaluating two very different CC 8 speeches (use props) : the first at my London club: the speaker forgot to show the prop he had prepared! The second was great and I gave just a few small feedbacks to ameliorate the delivery, but I was specific and he liked it. I already liked to do things twice even if they were not asked from me.

Next will come my story about the third task, Research, and as you will see tomorrow, yes, I also delivered it already twice. Perhaps, I will if possibility come again, as my last one worked very well as a persuasive personal story but... but all that tomorrow.

2 comments:

Misako@happyclam said...

This is such a valuable lesson -- thank you, Julie. I am right behind you, keep practicing, take advice, deliver it again and again. I love seeing that my effort makes a difference, however it's small, I shall keep on going!

Unknown said...

Thank you for reading and commenting, Misako, it does mean a lot for me!