31 May 2017

Storytelling, about others and our experiences


I begun to prepare my two electives: 

1. Voice Variety, using a children's book by Munch : The paper-bag Princess, and some funny more then century old short comic poems I found. I begun to study different versions of the story.

2. Storytelling. We do recognise, don't we, that we learn to speak outside Toastmasters? Here is a wonderful example of having something to say and saying it using two different stories. One that happened about 2000 years ago, and the second a very personal story that happened to Pam, Doug Lipman's wife, the first woman pastor in her new congregation. As she tells them, we "feel there". 

Listening  to Pam tell her stories, I realised how far I still have to go!

They call me "the storyteller" in my diverse Toastmasters clubs and even in Spark London where I used to tell regularly, or in Dublin where they listened to my stories for one hour then wanted 30 minutes more at least. True, some of my stories are not so bad but nowhere the quality I see in Pam's. 

A very strong goal. Two stories illustrating her message and linked tight together (yes, linked through the 2000 year gap). Description of place and event, in poignant and also funny way. Dialogue. Bringing us there. What a responsibility to tell a story! What a wonderful use of voice and smile and moving of her whole body as she speaks! Preaches. Yes, we do learn to use in very different places. To offer something. At least to one who needs it just then, as Doug Lipman said wrote does. 

2 comments:

Canadian Dodd Family said...

I would like to hear some of your stories on your pioneering days in computers. You could tell it in such a way as to be an inspiration to young women. I my experience women are equal to the men in the field, but they need other women to show them the way.

Julie Kertesz - me - moi - jk said...

Good idea! Of course, I was already 48 at the time, also I begun computers at 39 with my first ever French diploma (Cobol, Fortran etc) without ever having seen then a computer. I did tell a few tales already about how I discovered Apple, but can tell more. Good idea! I love those memories. I was never good "programmer" but mostly seller buyer book writer coach.