21 Jul 2017

Make them feel welcomed and valuable


All three panelists, told after the Panel, that they felt valued and appreciated. That was one of my important task yesterday. Here is what Misako wrote later in the day about it.
14 rs
"It was a wonderful 1-hour Zoom Panel last night (early morning in Europe). Everything becomes a story (even it's a panel discussion for an app) with Witty Storytellers. Hats off to our amazing Moderator, Julie Kertesz. Thank you for making us feel welcomed and valuable. Can you believe it was her first time being a moderator? It was indeed, the first time panelist for me! *panting*" Misako Y Yoke
Of course, it is not only a Panel Moderator that has to make feel valued and appreciated those he presents, but also a Toastmaster, a Table Topic Master, any Master of Ceremony. It is an important skill to learn. I am still improving, but now it is more easy to find that something that makes shine those I present.

"Everything becomes a story" and I will add to it, a "personal story" in Witty Storytellers. Slowly, through the month, we realised in my club, Witty Storytellers Online the magic of telling personal stories. So yes, we can do it better and better, and had great workshop leaders, Storyteller and Storytelling Coach Doug Lipman for example, in our special meetings. 

When I joined in London, the second time around, Toastmasters, in 2009 January, I found an article in an old the Toastmasters Magazine "you can go through the Competent Communication Manual ten projects telling personal stories". And I did. The only time, project 4 as I was afraid of "short words and short phrases in English" my speech was not a story. I told facts, true facts of my true life but did not wrap them into a story. The feedback was "what did you want to say with that?" The point did not get across.

When you tell a story, the story shines and the point of it comes across without you needing to begin your point at the beginning and summarise it at the end again. That is one of the great accomplishments of a good story well told. Plus, of course it plants images in the minds, slightly different for each, individual as we are all diverse. That is the great secret probably of a great story, it makes all of us add something to it from ourselves and becomes our story.

In my mind's eye, are still the three stories we heard from the three panelists, and yes, I remember them each my way.

As the Pathways Projects are in tune with life the project about Moderating a Panel does have a slide speaking of panelists being better when telling stories or anecdotes.

True, it begins with "there are times when" and I believe "every time" there can be find something relevant to the theme of the Panel.

And of course, I did ask my three panelists to tell their personal stories about how they did encounter, and dealt with Zoom.  But, they were also already great storytellers, each of them! 

I could go on an on about storytelling, one of my great passions. But this blog is about Pathways, isn't' it?
In fact, it is my personal story of my encounter with Pathways.


No comments: