17 May 2019

Adopting Change

There are many theories and curves to show how CHANGE is adopted, here is one of them.
Each of us is on one of the colours and places, in general, but even depending, what changes we are about to have. I did take up this one as I loved its names. 

I was never an Innovator, even if I dreamed sometimes to be able to do it, but I was usually, an Early Adopter. Ambassador. For the Pathways Education Program, for sure. And went toward the change, used the new program sometimes, at beginning, in very difficult conditions. But did not think for an instant, even when hating a feature, or a condition a club offered, to stop. To go farther. 

With the Pathways, now I believe we have many in the Supporters part, and some, neutral. Of course, the problem in some clubs and district pose are the Adversaries: so high voice, so angry, so clever even at times. Sometimes, their voices are most heard by the "Late majority" and they fear to go farther, dip their toes and try for themselves. 

In the books about Change, is explained first that our reaction to change depends a lot of what we experienced in our childhood. I did not like some changes happening to me, but fast I understood that they saved my life, when I was ten, and many times after, when it depended on me, and I hesitated too long. 

But how we feel about something new, is not only how we are able to leave, end. Nor how long we are lost in the middle, nowhere land, before we adapt new. I did adapt fast the new education system, but I was very reluctant to try a smart phone for example. Only when I finally got my first, second hand iPhone, did I fall in love with it. Still, only three years later got a new one and I do close it between using it, not like my grandson who has it always ready even in his pocket.

Where do you feel are on that scale? What to do to attract all but the two last minority groups? The books say "do not worry about them, do not spend time to try to change them." Alas, when they are from Leaders, they can keep off many clubs, for one more year, and poison the mood around them. Those who do not begin, but do not oppose it, may help still, but really remain leaders who lead by example. Not only staying behind the rang. 

That is how I feel at least. I suggest, even if not going in deep, try at least The Navigator. The one that is in the menu, not inside Base Camp. Why are they different things with the same name? Logged in, chose Pathways then The Navigator from the menu. Not the rectangle. And it can be viewed from any device this YEAR, 2019 ! 

So much for new members, so much info for those who want to help others before even choosing a path or accessing it through Base Camp. 


Here is how the new Navigator looks like. I loved it from the start!

From time to time, go back and play with it, discover some of its new features.

And not only his last section, about Pathways. 

Recommended: play with it!

Yes, it takes some time, but no one has to read all what is in it at once. 

There are so many corners to discover.

About our clubs, texts and animations, too. 

And In plus I did not hear anyone - yet - telling they do not like its user interface! 

1 comment:

Tana said...

Thanks for this post, Julie. It's a good perspective to have. I'm used to being an Early Adopter, and as someone who's been in software development for over 20 years, I've seen and done a lot of early adoption. I feel that this transition was a bit rockier than it should have been, purely from a technology standpoint, given where software user experience is at these days. That said, I understand that with any undertaking this massive, and reaching such a broad range of experience levels with technology, overall it's gone about as smoothly as anyone could have hoped. There will always be detractors. And then there's a large group of people who care deeply about the experience, and raise their voices because they want to make it as strong as possible for those who come after. When things seem a bit negative, remember, we are trying to improve, both personally and as an organization. I think that most of us, like you, don't even dream of stopping even though there are aspects that we feel could change for the better.

I love your advice to go back to the Navigator, and spend time anew looking at the materials. I'm doing so now in Level 4 of my first path. It is part of the beauty of this program that things can be improved upon for the benefit of all, without having to reprint or redo a lot of physical materials.

Thanks also for your continued blogging. I enjoy your posts on this subject!